This is an individual contributor role supporting the Trans Mountain Expansion Project’s (TMEP) Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) leadership team. The individual is expected to provide expertise, advice and counsel to develop and execute integrated strategic communications plans and programs that align and ensure achievement of the Project’s safety vision of Zero Incidents, Every Day!
The successful candidate will report to the Director, Corporate Communications and is embedded in the Project EHS leadership team with line of sight to both TMEP’s safety goals and objectives and Trans Mountain’s broader Corporate Communication and reputation plans and strategies. The candidate is the main safety communications contact, sustaining a relationship of trust, confidence, and loyalty among members of the Project EHS leadership team and Communications team. By working closely with the Project team, the individual will identify ways in which strategic communications can contribute to the success of the Project, and be an advocate for positive, active programs to anticipate situations, or react to unexpected circumstances which demand quick, professional mobilization. As Trans Mountain focuses on improving its project safety culture and reducing risk, effective communications provides safety-related information in a world-class manner that engages the project teams and enhances the effectiveness of the its safety leaders and its programs.
- Be responsible for developing integrated communications strategies to engage target audiences, and to measure and evaluate effectiveness of the communications program.
- Act as first point-of-contact for the Project EHS leadership team and be accountable to build and maintain a strong working relationship between the client and the Communications function.
- Act as strategic advisor and communications subject matter expert for the Project safety team.
- Lead the virtual team responsible for developing and executing effective communication to support TMEP's efforts.
- Consult with the EHS team and subject matter experts to prepare communications plans, using enterprise-wide communications policies and the Communications reference strategy as a guide.
- Research other industry-related sites and best practices.
- Make recommendations on potential changes or enhancements that align with the Project objectives and overall execution strategy.
- Ensure consistent, timely and accurate communications to all project stakeholders, ensuring alignment, fostering collaboration and identifying opportunities for joint messaging within the organization.
- Provide communication coaching and consulting to Project leaders by providing strategic counsel on communication issues that ensure consistent key messages are communicated effectively to project audiences.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, development and support to team members.
Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Minimum 10-15 years of proven experience in strategic or corporate communications, ideally with experience in strategic communication planning and communication account management.
- Previous experience in supporting a safety organization would be an asset.
- Experience in developing and implementing communication strategies and plans.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills, including strategic communications planning, research, writing and editing business communication, including writing briefing notes, proposals and other communications materials.
- Proven experience working effectively with senior executives, management and staff and the ability to build solid relationships with external colleagues and other internal and external influencers.
- Knowledge of a wide range of print and electronic communications tools used to disseminate messages; business/project drivers at a macro level, current issues and potential impact; the oil and gas/pipeline industry.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Strong project management skills, a strong work ethic, including leadership, communication, interpersonal, organizational, managerial, and negotiation skills
- Results-oriented, hands-on self-starter who works effectively in a team setting.
- Ability to juggle a variety of complex projects that often evolve over time and meet tight deadlines in a demanding organization.
- Tolerance for ambiguity and the ability to exercise sound judgment in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information.
We Build Careers and Pipelines That Last
Our story is about determination, resourcefulness and resilience. It’s about charting our own course, finding innovative solutions to challenging problems and doing the right thing. It was true when Trans Mountain became a company in 1951 and it’s just as true today. We welcome new members to our team that embrace the qualities in our story, that thrive on the new path and directions we take. Our culture is one of care and taking our responsibilities seriously. If you would like to contribute to our culture, then join our journey.
A Rewarding Opportunity. We offer:
- A place to share a sense of purpose and build relationships.
- Meaningful work that makes a difference.
- An opportunity within the Canadian energy industry.
In keeping with Trans Mountain’s commitment to maximize benefits for communities, priority will be given to qualified candidates from Indigenous, local and regional communities along the Trans Mountain existing, and expansion, pipeline corridor.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trans Mountain is committed to supporting diversity and individual differences. The diverse viewpoints and cultural knowledge that our employees bring to work enrich our organization’s collective cultural understanding, which is reflected in the work we do every day. Trans Mountain welcomes new team members from traditionally underrepresented groups, including women, Indigenous Peoples, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Click to Apply